Bed Bugs can be difficult to detect for multiple reasons. One of the most common mistakes is one’s dismissal of the bites. With so many other causes of bites/rashes/allergic reactions, many people view Bed Bug Bites as likely a mosquito bite, or simply dismissing the itch as possibly dry skin or something else. Dismissing bed bug bites can be huge mistake leading to an increase in the infestation and ongoing issues. It can be important to begin monitoring bites immediately over the course of the next week. If you have concerns that you may have Bed Bugs the following steps and precautions can be important to take:
- Identify where the current bed bug bites are located and monitor for new bites over the course of the next 7-10 days.
- Purchasing Bed Bug monitoring stations can be valuable. We recommend simple and easy to monitor units that can be little effort to install but provide effective feedback. Many companies have created Bed Bug monitors/traps that Do Not Work. We have attached a link for a monitoring system that we recommend to help you determine of you have Bed Bugs. Climb Up Insect Interceptor
- If bites continue and you have not seen any live Bed Bugs or caught any in the trap, contact a Pest Management Professional. It is important when deciding who to use that you feel confident the company/ employee knows how to treat for Bed Bugs. The selection process is where lots of people create potential issues for themselves. Choosing the wrong company can lead to poor treatment of the issues or ongoing problems. Ask lots of questions and make sure you’re not just going with the least expensive company or the biggest name. Make sure you feel comfortable that they will treat you and your family well. Be sure you understand the service warranty and the limitations of it.
- Make sure the company schedules a two week follow up. This is important because there can be Bugs deep in couches and other cracks of crevices that may have been difficult to treat. This also will allow for interruption of the Bed Bug life cycle so any eggs that have hatched will be treated before they can lay more eggs. This two week follow up should be included within the service fee.
- Continue monitoring for bites and live bugs. The ongoing monitoring of Bed Bugs can be a little more intensive than most people would like to worry about but it is critical to ensure the issue is resolved.
Finding the right company can be difficult and confusing. We feel the inspection process is our opportunity to earn your business. For that reason, our inspections are free along with a thorough outline of how the service will proceed so you feel comfortable and confident when choosing Pro Defense Pest Control.